Monday, March 24, 2014

Yes, I've been to Ghana




Since 2001, I can say I've been to Spain, Peru, Chile, Ghana, and others.  But what does it really mean to have traveled somewhere?  When I go to a new place, I don't want to just take pictures and visit tourist sites.  Traveling like that only allows me to understand the sites of a country, and from a perspective of my country of origin.  When I travel overseas, I want to really get to know people and understand their lifestyles, their joys, and their struggles.  I want to know how they see their own country, culture, and tourist sites.

This weekend I participated in a number of tourist activities... parks, canoe trips, a crocodile pond, etc.  I could write about them all here and post pictures, and I probably will briefly at some in the future, but I don't think it's the tourist stuff that helps me say, "Yes. I've been to Ghana."

Instead, it's the moments of human exchange, like the one above in the picture.  And this weekend I had so many of them!  Although conversations with kids here often start off with a request for money, whether you give them some or not, they want to talk to you just the same.  They want to get to know you, where you come from, what you do, and why you're in Ghana.  These kids in the picture were really excited that I was a Spanish teacher, and they wanted me to teach them some Spanish.  They are such good students!  (Not that I'm surprised after visiting the schools here.) Those moments of human connection that transcend race, country of origin, age, gender, etc., is what I will most treasure about this trip.  And so, after a weekend full of visits to parks, new cities, and interesting canoe rides, I choose today to write about this moment, because it is these ones that will leave the biggest impression on my heart, and create meaning for me when I say, "Yes. I've been to Ghana."

2 comments: