Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Faux Pas at the Parliament

 In the afternoon today, we visited with the representatives of Parliament that are on the Education Committee (the committee that makes educational policy), at the Parliament House in Accra.  It was very nice to meet with them and discuss the educational systems of Ghana and the United States.  I was most surprised to hear that almost every member of that political committee was a former teacher.  

They were very gracious to host us and spend time with us.  I did, however, make a small faux pas,  but, as a language teacher, it is one that fascinates me.  I asked the representatives what they were most proud of, in the educational system of Ghana.  They didn't understand my question at all, and I was confused as to why they didn't understand.  After asking it two more times, speaking more slowly and slightly rephrasing (but always using the word "proud,") we finally came to an understanding that I wanted to know what their achievements were.  

After the meeting, in talking with the supervisor of the Teachers for Global Classrooms program that is traveling us, she mentioned that "proud" carries a negative connotation in Ghana, as "proud" here, can mean to feel arrogant about something.  So, they may have thought I was asking them about their arrogance!!

It is always helpful to remember that across the globe, not all words translate to similar meanings.  Unfortunately, one never usually discovers this until an embarrassing situation arises.  I always like to tell my Spanish students the story of my first study abroad in Spain, when I wanted to express to someone that I was embarrassed, and I used the word "embarazada."  Many words in Spanish and English are cognates (words that sound and/or look very similar), but "embarazada" is a FALSE cognate. Instead, I had told this person that I was "pregnant."  :)

Oh well, c'est la vie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment